Thursday, November 17, 2016

Day in the Life

I thought it was time for another day in the life post, this time the mat leave edition.  This was my day yesterday and it turned out to be pretty typical of what Q and I have been up to during our days. 

We had a great night's sleep.  I fed Q before we went to bed around 11:00 and only had to get up once through the night, and then he woke me up after 6:00.   I had set a reminder about this post so I could remember to do it throughout the day, I only forgot a couple of times.

After changing Q's diaper I put him in his crib while I washed my hands.

I've been using the Baby Tracker app to keep track of feeding. I don't really need it for length of feedings, but remembering the side last fed on, and the time since the last feeding is still useful.  Like his brother, Q is a quick eater. 

E had made his way into our bed during the night so we went to wake him up (Dave was already up)

E has four things to do before he goes downstairs in the morning - go to the bathroom, brush his teeth, get dressed and make his bed.  He is making his bed here.

Then we went downstairs - I put away the clean dishes from the night before, put E's breakfast and lunch together, and then made coffee. 

While I was downstairs putting in some laundry, Dave turned off the CBC and put on some music for a morning dance party

Q got in on the action too.

Morning selfie before Dave headed out to take E to school

I did clean E's face before he went to school

After they left, I tidied up the kitchen and then got my breakfast (today it was a whole wheat pita with peanut butter and jam and a cut up orange) and coffee and sat down on the couch to watch Your Morning on CTV and Live with Kelly.  

After I ate, I started folding the laundry I had done the night before.  I do everyone's laundry separately, and Dave does his own laundry.  E's is on the left and Q's is on the right.

Around 9:30, I woke up Q to feed him before going to my doctor's appointment.  This was my 6-week follow up after having Q.  I forgot to take a photo at the appointment, but this is us in the car on the way home.  

Q was sleeping when we got home, so I left him in his carseat while I put away our fall decorations. 

Then I resumed my folding and watched an episode of Mad Men.  This was the one where Lee Garner Jr. came to the Christmas party; this is Joan leading the conga line.  I love this show so much.

Q was stirring in his carseat so I picked him up and held him for awhile.  He went back to sleep so I put him down and got my lunch. 

Leftover Chicken Margarita Soup that we ate on Monday and Tuesday nights.  It was even better on this third day.

We raked 10 bags of leaves the day before but then so many oak leaves fell, it looked like we hadn't done anything.  Those oak leaves never seem to end!

We finally said good bye to this houseplant, it was a rubber tree.  We really cannot keep plants alive!

After lunch, I tidied up our rooms and put the laundry away.  Then Dave, Q and I walked down the street.  Dave went to a coffee shop to work and Q and I did some errands - passport photos and shopping.  I decided to treat myself to some magazines. 

Then we went up to have a coffee with Dave; I could not resist this sprinkle cookie!

When we got back, I did some blogging and watched another episode of Mad Men, and then started making supper - Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese.  Dave went to Home Depot and then to school to pick up E and take him to t-ball

Q wanted a little attention so I picked him up while I finished up dinner.

It was report card day at school, and E got a glowing review.  

Dave had purchased some wood for the basement stairs so after supper E helped upload them from the trunk. 

Then it was bath time for both kids - Dave bathed E, and I looked after Q.  This is him all snuggly after he got out.  We only bathe him about once a week. He seems to like it and it tires him out so we may start doing it more often. 

We got this lotion from a gift basket from Dave's work.  I love the scent, and apparently the company is based in Toronto.

It was Dave's turn to put E to bed, so I went downstairs to blog and watch Jeopardy.  Q snoozed beside me on the couch.

We finished off our night with the Raptors game.

Thanks for reading!

My previous day in the life posts are here.


  1. Your boys are adorable ! You get a lot accomplished in a day....and have fun, too! Love reading about a day in your life! Thanks for sharing, Sarah!

  2. Love these posts. You'll look back these days so fondly!!