Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Weekend Recap

We had a great weekend in Ottawa visiting with family and running races!  We got back late on Sunday night and we needed to recover yesterday, so I am getting around to sharing our photos today. 

We were planning to leave around lunchtime on Friday so E stayed home from school in the morning and we got his hair cut.  Here he is after that with his sucker watching some of the condo construction in our area. 

Dave needed to do work from the car so I drove to Ottawa.  Here we are on the road

We arrived for supper.  There were twelve people staying at Dave's cousin's house but we all managed to eat together.  On this first night, it was yummy homemade pizza. 

We brought E's Perplexus ball with us and everyone had a turn with it. 

Darren showing E how to play guitar.

He's a natural (for the few minutes he held the guitar)

Lego time in the morning. 

Poor Q (and me and Dave and everyone else in the house).  He did not sleep on Friday night, it was almost unbelievable.  He had a stuffed up nose and was in an unfamiliar place and he couldn't seem to get settled.  We dozed on the couch for a bit, and he did get a bit of sleep into the wee hours of the morning, but it was a long night! He still looks pretty happy here for someone that didn't sleep.  Bring Dave and me all of the coffee!

Ottawa Race Weekend has a 2K, 5K, and 10K on Saturday, and then the Half and Full Marathons on Sunday.  E and I were running the 2K, along with Dave's cousin Adam and his 9 year old son, Alex.  It was 3:00 so we had the full morning and part of the afternoon for a trip to the playground and a picnic at Mooney's Bay Park.  Besides the 12 of us, some more family joined us and we were about 20 people.  Wings, ribs, corn on the cob, hot dogs, salad, chips, etc. - we were well fed!

E climbing the ropes course

The four boy cousins together on these things, whatever they are called.

Dave throwing around the Frisbee with the boys.  It was a beautiful day as you can see in this picture.

Q caught a few winks in his stroller

Darren at the grill.

Then Adam's turn

The best shot of the kids I could get.  

After lunch, we hopped in the car and headed to the starting line for the 2K.  
Before the race.

Amy managed to get a few photos of E and me in action.   This was his first race and he did so well.  He only wanted to walk a few times but mostly just kept running.  He was concerned about coming in last although we told him that wouldn't happen.  He loved giving high fives to the spectators along the route, but he was disappointed there were no water stations, he had been looking forward to just throwing his water cup on the ground as he kept running.

After the race with our medals and E's popsicle.  Our time was 15:26.

Adam and Alex stayed to watch Amy (Adam's wife) in the 5K but we just headed back.  It was just these three kids to play in the sprinkler and then start supper (chicken parm and garlic bread, my favourites!).

Q was a hot, sweaty and sniffly baby but felt better after a bath and some cooler clothes for sleeping in.  He had a better night's sleep on Saturday, thank goodness!

The boys played Settlers of Catan on Saturday evening while the girls chatted and then went to bed.

On Sunday morning, these guys headed out for the half marathon.

Then E and Q and I headed downtown so we could see the start of the race.  I had my route all picked out but I got there after the road was closed so I was worried we wouldn't be able to get close enough to park and then make it to the race route before Dave ran by, but we did.   We went to the same place  that we went last year, along Elgin Street at Minto Park (conveniently across the street from a Starbucks).

Here he comes!

And look who else was in Ottawa for the weekend - Cindy! She was there for a conference and staying downtown so she walked to meet us at the start of the race and then we had coffee before her flight back to PEI.

After we said goodbye to Cindy, we walked over to where Amy and Lindsay (Darren's wife) and the kids were watching the race.  The kids made posters and then the racers started coming by.

Our sign says "Free High Fives".

We got to see all three of our runners go by.  They said they were all in rough shape by the time they got to us, but they had big smiles for us anyway.  Dave's time was 1:42, Adam's was 1:51, and Darren's was 1:57.
After the race, they went to get a few beers before coming back home.   

After the race, it was back home for some water play in the backyard. 

We had supper and then drove home.  It was a late night, arriving around 11:00 pm, but it was good to be back home in our own beds and ready to take on the week on Monday morning.  

A big thanks to Darren and Lindsay for looking after us and feeding us great food all weekend, we had so much fun!

Here is my recap of last year's race weekend.


  1. Wow! That was quite the weekend! Impressive running times for you and E.....and for Dave!

  2. Congrats on the race! What a fun weekend getaway!

  3. That looks like a lot of fun. And way to go on the 2K! That's impressive time with/for an SK kid.