The other day I was craving broccoli cheese soup but I couldn't fathom dumping 2 cups of grated cheddar into the soup, I wanted something a little lighter but still delicious. So I set out in search of a vegan recipe (I'm always looking for ways to use my bag of nutritional yeast).
I found a recipe and it turned out to be very good!
1 small onion, minced
2 cups broccoli, roughly chopped
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup roasted cashews, soaked overnight, or at least 4 hours
1/2 cup +3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
6 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1. Roast cashews in a 375 degree F oven for 7-10 minutes until lightly golden brown. Soak overnight or for 4 hours at least.
2. Heat olive oil in a medium pot on medium high heat. Add onion and cook until lightly golden, about 1-2 minutes.
3. Add in broccoli and cook for 1 minute. Pour in stock and reduce the heat to medium and simmer over medium low heat for about 10 minutes until broccoli is tender, but not mushy.
4. While the soup is simmering, make the cashew cream. Drain water from the cashews and place in a high powered blender or food processor. Add almond milk and nutritional yeast. Blend until very smooth and creamy.
5. Pour cream into soup, raise the temperature to medium and simmer for 2-3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
It's so delicious and good for a hearty meal.