Friday, September 25, 2020

Friday Favourites

Happy Friday everyone, wherever you may be!

Well we were so excited for the kids to be back at school last week, but it turned out to be a false start and they have been home all of this week with us. Q had a runny nose on Monday so he didn't pass the health screening questionnaire and E threw up on Tuesday morning so he also stayed home.  A negative Covid test along with 24 hours of being symptom free are required before they can return.  We are still waiting so fingers crossed the test results come back today and we have a healthy weekend so school can resume next week. 

For those of you who have not had to go to get a Covid test, here is how our experience went: After hearing about the extremely long line ups where people wait for hours on the street outside of the hospital, I felt we needed a different option.  We decided to try the drive thru assessment site at Etobicoke General.  My plan was only to take Q for the test but when I woke up with a sore throat too, I decided I would get tested as well (and also show Q how it was done and that it wasn't so bad).  We arrived at the assessment site at 6:45 am, opening time was 8:00.  We were in the second row of cars (out of the 14 rows that eventually (and quickly) filled in).  I had my coffee, our breakfasts, water, extra snacks, a blanket for Q, my laptop, iPad with downloaded movies, and some toys.  We were prepared to be there for awhile.  Then back at home E woke up not feeling well so Dave drove him up to us at the assessment site and he joined us in the car while Dave went home.  The registration process was all  done on my phone with a QR code given to us by security when we arrived.  It was easy enough to register E after he got there.  Although the site opened at 8:00 we didn't actually move from our spot until 9:00.  Then we inched up ahead where we eventually handed over our health cards to the intake nurse.  We went through a tent where they gave the cards back and they confirmed our information.  Then we drove to the next tent where they asked us more questions (again confirming who we were and what symptoms we had) and then we got tested. We were driving away at 10:00 am. We never had to leave our car, which was great.  There were a couple of porta-potties in the parking lot but we didn't have to use them.  I wore a mask when I spoke to the nurse at the window, and both E and I wore our masks with noses uncovered when they did the test. Q did not have to wear a mask.  No one really enjoyed the test but it was over fairly quickly and is more a weird feeling than painful, I felt it was like getting water way up my nose when swimming. Now we wait for the results which take between 2 and 4 days, and can be found online.

While the kids were home with us I tried doing some "school work" with Q, matching upper case to lower case letters.  He definitely has his own ideas of what he's like to do.  E has a French curriculum workbook that he did a few pages in. 

Bless their hearts, they are trying to fold the blankets and it was something to behold.  E's method was very involved with unfolding it onto the (not so clean) floor, and Q basically just balled it up.

My mom did a FaceTime painting session again (as she did all summer with E).  The inspiration was a golf course.  E's is on the left, Q's is more of a freestyle, but they both had fun and were entertained for an hour or so, so it was a win.

Speaking of being sick, we have been enjoying our hot toddies in the evenings.  It is comfort in a mug.

The Blue Jays have been entertaining us this week in the evenings, happy Vladdy, Bichette, Kirk, Buck and Pat with the call. Great times in Buffalo.

Let's hope for a healthier week next week!

Linking up with Andrea and Erika.


  1. The blanket folding...precious! I guess Q was listening when I told E that if he used red for his flag he should use red someplace else in his picture so the eye travels around the painting. Q did well! Both paintings are good.

  2. wOW!!! I hope everyone is on the mend. Take care!

  3. Oh no. Hope you all feel better, soon. Glad you didn’t have to wait long in the testing. Awesome FaceTime paintings! What a great idea.

  4. So sorry it was a false start like that.. I keep wondering just how many times my kids will be "regular" sick and yet be required to get covid testing because of the school. Don't get me wrong, I totally get WHY the schools are requiring it but I also can't imagine taking them to get tested for every little symptom. I hope the results are negative and life can resume as normal for you! I had to get tested yesterday (pre-op requirement) and the hospital I'm using has a drive up/drive through facility but they use a saliva test. It was really quite efficient but I was warned to get there early as the lines can get longer as the day goes on (no porta potties anywhere though).

  5. I was so excited when I read that BC removed runny noses, sore throats, and slight coughs from the list of symptoms keeping kids home from school. Doesn't that basically describe childhood?!?!? Here's hoping you're all "back to normal" this week.