Personally, I don't like getting a lot of gifts if it means I end up with random things that may be good gift ideas, but just don't fit into my life. I'd rather get a small inexpensive meaningful gift, than an expensive gift that is kind of generic. In the same way, I try to buy thoughtful gifts for people. Not that all of my gifts are homeruns, but I try.
This year, I want to buy gifts from our neighbourhood, and although I don't have a lot of people to buy for, I want to make sure I am intentional about what I'm buying so I don't waste money and also make people feel special when they receive the gift.
Some ideas of intentional gifts:
- Take someone out for dinner, or promise to take them out in the New Year. It is a good way to spend time with people, while still giving them a gift.
- If someone works in an office, maybe get some treats for their desk, like Starbucks instant coffee, some 80% cocoa chocolate bars, or a box of special tea.
- Buy a magazine subscription in a topic that the person likes. It is something they would not likely purchase for themselves, but it comes throughout the year. And if the magazine is a hit, you've come up with an idea for every year! Similarly, order the Globe and Mail's Saturday edition to be delivered all year. There is so much in the weekend edition, including a big crossword puzzle, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
- Pay attention to the trends in jewellery, fashion, purses, etc. and take note of what people would like; sometimes it is hard to buy this stuff for people, but if it is a popular item, it may be something they would enjoy.
- For people with kids, or even people without, it is good to give gift cards for the equivalent amount of admission to museums, aquariums, and other places that provide some entertainment during the winter months.
I like gift cards as much as the next person, but unless you know the person has something in mind to buy at that store, they usually end up in someone's wallet or drawer and forgotten about. That said, a Starbucks or Tim's gift card is usually appreciated, if the person drinks coffee.
Ugh! Too many presents #thestruggleisreal
Now, for those people on my list, try to pretend like these gifts are a surprise when you get them!