Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Weekend Recap

We capped off our summer with a camping trip to The Pinery Provincial Park on Lake Huron.  We picked up Q from school around noon and then headed out on the road; we arrived around 3:00.

This time we added the bike rack to our car.  We even brought Q's little bike even though he can't ride it by himself, but he was pumped to have his bike included. 

Dave's parents brought E to meet us at the campsite and had dinner with us. 

It was Carol's birthday yesterday and we celebrated with some squares and gifts. 

Then it was time to start the bonfire.  Q helped bring the wood over.

The next morning the kids were up early. We got breakfast ready (egg and sausage on english muffins) and then decided to go on a hike.  We had some leftover timbits in the car so we handed those out at the trail head.

Tired but happy

Some wild turkeys on the road. 

Then we packed up for a day at the beach.

Our beach game was strong this time (not like at Sandbanks).  

Q even went down for a nap for about an hour.

Some snacks when he woke up.

We got back around 4:00 and then started getting our dinner ready (tacos) and then our friends showed up.

Some bocce ball

Starting the fire

On Saturday morning we went for another hike after breakfast.  This time we climbed a few sand dunes (located in the forest) and saw some great views.

Q is throwing a fit for some reason

Back to the beach for round two.  Q napped again and we were all well fed, success. 

Ice cream before dinner

Checking out the river while we finished our cones.

When we got back we set up the tarp in preparation for the impending storm.  Dave and the boys went up to our friends' site to play while I got our dinner ready.  We finished eating just as the rain started so it was good timing. 

The boys did some reading while we waited for the rain to pass.  

We tried doing some yoga but it was full contact yoga so it didn't last long. 

The rain stopped in time for our campfire where we kind of had a late night.  I didn't take any pictures on Sunday.  We had pancakes and bacon for breakfast and it rained again.  We started to pack up and then the rain stopped and the sun came out so we went to the beach for a quick dip.  Back to take down the tent and then grab lunch at the camp store.  We were home by 5:00, got everything unpacked, ordered food from Uber Eats, got everyone showered, and basically fell into bed!  Phew!

It was so great to have the extra day at home before heading back to school and work.  In the morning Q and I went for a walk to buy a few things and stopped at the playground. 

Cleaning, yard work, laundry, and food prep filled our morning.  And then the afternoon was occupied with a nerf war, all the toys outside, chalk art (check my Chase!), and an ice cream cone for everyone.

So long summer!


  1. What a great camping experience you had! You were even prepared for the rain! I love that first pic of Q's bike added to the others! And the last pic with E looking like Papa Doug with ice cream on his nose!

  2. What a fun time! And all that wonderful family bonding!