Happy Monday! This week on the "Not Just a Mom" link up party we are talking about quick family dinners.
We usually plan our meals ahead of time but occasionally we need something quick and what I almost always make in that scenario, is macaroni and cheese. Yes, it is from scratch but it is super fast, we always have the ingredients, and everyone loves it.
1 lb pasta (any shape, or mix and match what's in your cupboard)
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp white flour
1/2 tsp each of salt, black pepper, dry mustard, and garlic powder
1 1/2 cups milk
1- 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1. Cook pasta according to directions.
2. Melt butter in the microwave, about 30 seconds.
3. Whisk in flour, salt, pepper, dry mustard, and garlic powder.
4. Whisk in milk.
5 Microwave for 5-6 minutes, stirring at least twice.
6. Remove from microwave at the end of the cooking time and fold in the cheese (haha, you don't have to fold it in, it's a Schitt's Creek reference!), just stir in the cheese until it's melted.
7. Drain your pasta.
8. Put it back in the pot and pour cheese sauce overtop, and combine.
(You can make this fancier by putting it in a casserole dish, topped with buttered bread crumbs and more cheese and baking the oven for about 20 minutes, but then it wouldn't be a "quick" meal. I also sometimes add frozen broccoli to the pasta while it's cooking.)